Sunday, June 3, 2007

Get me some of them Mommy Beans!

Boobah: I want Mommy beans.
Me: Mommy beans?
Boobah: Yeah, Mommy beans. You know, the push out beans.
Me: Edamame?
Boobah: Yeah, eddy-mommy

That was several days ago and nearly every day she has asked for mommy beans. So today I was at the store and the mommy beans were on sale and caught my eye. I bought several bags. I came home, threw one in the microwave to steam and told Boobah. At that very moment she declared mommy beans to be her very favorite food. She proved it by downing nearly half a bag for lunch with a big smile on her face.

I don't know where we lucked out but thankfully our kids will eat nearly anything, as illustrated by the deep love for edamame. That's not to say that most nights at dinner she doesn't declare that she doesn't like whatever it is that we are eating. We make her take a bite and at least half the time she eats more of it. She almost always defaults to mac & cheese in a restaurant but she loves veggie sushi and green beans too. When I hear people tell stories of the kid who will eat only a certain brand of chicken nugget and never eats anything green I cringe just a little bit and thank my lucky stars that my kids are willing to take big steps into the world of food. I hope we are laying the groundwork for mainting healthy diets and healthy weight when they grown up despite our own less than stellar habits.

4 comments:

yerdoingitwrong said...

heeheee. I love it....eddy-mommy. I'm impressed they like such a wide variety of foods! I don't think when I was that age I would eat anything green!

Esmerelda said...

oh that is too much.

Ya think she can get D and A to eat them?

I bet we an if we make it sound like an exclusive club!!

Good for you!

Nicole said...

I'm right there with you...Eli LOVES 'mah-may'..he tries to eat the casing too, but even after masticating it for 3 or 4 minutes, he hasnt' been able to break it down enough to digest :)

Tree said...

N likes edamame, too! He is not a picky eater, thank goodness.

That's so darn cute.