Thursday, October 18, 2007

Born to Run?

I'm not talking about the Boss here (although I will supply you with a little music video to keep you interested).



At various points in my life I've tried to run. Never have a been very successful. Some people are born to run, my body is just not one of them. I like the idea of running, I like the time alone to think--its the wear and tear on the joints and the burning lungs I could do without. But I decided I wanted to do a triathlon next year so, I guess I have to run at least 5K.

I've been trying to learn to run for the past four weeks. I am doing a Couch to 5K training regimen. I wasn't exactly a couch potato to start with so I started out in phase two where 9 minutes of running got introduced to a 30 min walk/run session. This week it is up to 50/50 running and walking for half an hour. I love that I feel like I am getting a great workout in a relatively short amount of time. I love that I am doing something I've never been able to do before. I love that I can see progress every week. I hate that its dark in the mornings so running outside is something I am just not comfortable with. I hate that if I run in the evening I can't sleep. I hate the fact that if I try to run and then get back work I sweat for the next half hour and the shower I take really does me no good.

This morning I decided the only way I would get my run in was to get us out the door early, drop off the girls, go to the gym, get in a quick workout, shower and dash to the office in time to get my head on for my 9AM meeting. Thank you girlies for being cooperative this morning! Out the door -check, girls dropped off-check, run-check, shower-check. Hey, why am I still sweating? Towel off repeatedly as I dress and dry my hair-check. Get to work-check. Feel dry and confident--not so much. I swear I didn't fully dry out until halfway through my second meeting. I've done the sniff test 10 times, thankfully it seems to be just me that is uncomfortable, at least I'm not smelly.

So, I may not have been born to run but hopefully this old dog can learn a new trick or two! Gretchen, Tree and Anne, my PIMs who just finished the Denver Half Marathon are certainly inspiration! Builder Mama was running 10Ks as well.

2 comments:

Tree said...

That's awesome!

I find *you* inspiring. I love it when someone who swore she hated running understands the good in it. Because there is so much good about it. It's not for everybody, but just moving is.

I am investigating some gear to help me run in the early mornings and not fall over a crack in the concrete and skin my knee (you are not the only one falling, btw) and I will let you know what I find.

g-man said...

And you look marv-elous! (you always have, but even more so lately)