Monday, February 26, 2007

Oh Yeah! Another Craptastic Day! Lice!

First it was the fever. Then it was the allergic reaction. Today its lice.

I can't tell ya how grossed out I am. Poor kid has long, very thick hair. She hates to have her hair brushed let alone me pick through it for hours looking for bugs. I admit, I am having a hard time trying to get over my stereotypes from growing up that only poor, dirty kids get lice. I remember the boy from elementary school that we all stayed away from because he had lice. Oh how I hope that no one in her class finds out it is her who has it.

UPDATE...

She's been shampooed, NIXed and gone over with the nit & egg combs. Ick, ick, ick! I went through her hair again and can't find anything else. She has to be checked out by the nurse tomorrow before they'll let her back in school. After Boobah's ER trip this weekend there was no way I was putting chemicals on her head. She spent 2 hours with mayo in her head and a plastic bag wrapped around it (yes, she could breathe)--after much internet research this was one of the home remedies. I went through her hair and couldn't find any evidence of bugs but I feel better for having done something.

The silver lining, there was a 2-hour delay this morning and no AM Kindergarten so PDQ didn't miss any school. Also, the allergist is seeing Boobah tomorrow, our ped was amazed, said it usually took 4-6 months to get in!

9 comments:

Esmerelda said...

I bet she picked it up at CEC!

LMAO

Smiles and hugs to you! The RID stuff STINKS but I hear it works!

Anonymous said...

If it makes you feel any better, I've heard that lice actually like clean hair/heads the best!

g-man said...

I'm with Es, my guess is Chuck's place. I'm trying to recall if that sign said rice dispenser or lice dispenser. Guess either way I shouldn't have given her the token and sent her in.

yerdoingitwrong said...

oh. ick!!! I'm so sorry for you both. my girlfriends kids got it and then it came back so she shaved their heads. They were young enough not to care. Probably not the best option, though! Hang in there!

Builder Mama said...

Another reason I'm glad to have a boy, because I would totally shave his head. PDQ, however, would look too much like Britney and I would never do that to such a sweet girl.

Hang in there...what a craptastic few days you've had....

Tree said...

OMG. YUCK.

Does it help to know that I had lice once? It totally grosses me out to even think of it.

Wash EVERYTHING in super hot water. I hope you got it. And sending big hugs to little girl.

MamaMaven said...

Thanks guys, I appreciate the support. I just got a call from the home daycare provider, when she called one of the other families they said--oh yeah, we've had it on and off. Dead silence, you mean you never told anyone?!! HDCP is closing tomorrow to sanitize her house. More stupid people!

sillychick said...

One of my best friends kids got lice this weekend, too! I told her one word: vinegar. I got it when I worked at a day care and the Rid wouldn't work. This was back in the early 90's (can you say long, spiral permed hair?) and it was taking for-ev-er to comb thru it. I finally called the Health Dept and she said to do the same thing you did with mayo.

My hair never felt better.

Unknown said...

Yeah, Chuck E. Cheese is the spawn of the devil, so I am sure lice live there too.

You poor guys!!