Thursday, November 29, 2007

Leavin' on a jet plane

Fortunately I do know when I'll be back again...Sunday.

My cousin Ryan is getting married this weekend in Houston so I am flying down for the festivities sans familia. His fiance is Vietnamese, my family is semi-redneck. My family flew down from Ohio today including my 81 year old grandmother on her first flight. I join them tomorrow morning, no more nights in a hotel be than absolutely necessary. I am really excited for the cultural experience and from what I've heard and read about Vietnamese weddings it should be spectacular. I figure I will spend most of the weekend on alert to try and keep some of my more colorful relatives from embarrassing us all.

We start off with a rehearsal dinner late tomorrow afternoon. My mother has grand plans for shopping--go figure. PDQ put in her souvenir requests. Then Saturday morning we go to the brides house for the ancestor ceremony, then the wedding ceremony and that evening the reception. I am, of course, over packed because I really have no idea what is appropriate. I feel good about the dress I scored at Target (of all places) for the reception but outside of that its all guesses!

*********************************************************************************
I am thankful to be able to join my family for this special occasion. I can remember the day Ryan was born, I was 8 and my aunt spent the day sitting in a lawn chair beside our house in a red dress having contractions until it was time to go to the hospital.

No comments: