Sunday, March 30, 2008

Invigorating?

We are now on the second half of the triathlon training class and in this half we are basically giving up the warmth of the gym to ride our bikes outside. I love that I don't have to take my bike, trainer and wheel prop in and out of the car and the gym. I even like running outside, FAR more than running on the dreadmill. Biking in 3o something degree weather, well that is a bit of a different story--the diplomatic might call it invigorating.

We rode a two mile loop this morning, I think I did it 6 times. I lost count somewhere along the way because I was too obsessed about not crashing into the traffic at the bottom of one hill, the serious chaffing going in my lady garden and thinking about the fact that my feet were so cold they hurt. I am sure in August I'd love the cool breeze blowing in my face, this morning however it was just adding insult to injury. I don't have long bike tights so I had on running tights with my bike shorts on top so I didn't have to wear them to run. Big mistake. I think I'd rather have had the cushion next to my skin that shedding the shorts to run. My feet were so cold that I wasn't sure I'd ever feel them again. When I started running, they starting warming up--I don't think I've ever been so happy to run.

Afterwards we were supposed to get a demonstration on how to fix a flat, basic bike maintenance and he was going to have basic stuff there to sell us. Well he did show us the fixing the flat part but we had to wait around for him in the cold to get around to it. He didn't tell us anything else, he encouraged us to sign up for the free class at his bike shop. He also didn't bring anything with him and missed a golden opportunity to sell things to a captive audience. Moron. I think I'll head off to visit my friends at my favorite local bike shop--its been 2 or 3 weeks since I've been in the bother them about anything. I need a small bike pump and after another week or two I'm going to have to make a decision about a new bike saddle so I am not saddle sore all the time.

I didn't make the Sunday afternoon nap that has become tradition. Instead I went with Esmerelda and PDQ for pedicures. It was Es' birthday gift to PDQ, perhaps her favorite of the bunch!

No comments: