Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Thank you! You're welcome?

I read something not too long ago, I can't for the life of me remember where, (if it was your blog, speak up and take credit!) about the responses to thank you. If I remember correctly the author was admonishing the use of responses like "sure" and "no problem" when saying thank you. S/he thought that it diminished the thank you as a no big deal kind of thing. It has had me thinking and I've come to realize that I use those two responses a lot! Once I realized it I've been thinking about whether it was okay.

Here are my thoughts, when I hold a door open for someone and they say thank you (or thanks) for some other small nicety I don't think a "you're welcome" is always necessary, a "sure" is fine. Why? Because its small and sometimes in passing there just isn't time for "you're welcome." Sometimes it isn't even a full thank you, its thanks. The informal act and giving of thanks seems to reuire an informal response. In more formal settings or when someone does something on a bigger scale "you're welcome" is the proper response.

So, what do you think is "you're welcome" always necessary or is "sure" or "no problem" okay with you?

2 comments:

Lynn said...

Hmmm... I think that's a little odd.

I say No problem a lot. Not that the thank you is no problem, but that what I DID to deserve a thank you is no problem. Partially, I think, because I don't want to make a big deal out of what *I* did.

I don't know about anyone else, but I often feel weird about an overly enthusiastic thank you, especially if I feel it's all out of proportion to the amount of effort I put in...

Opening the door? "No problem." Picking up something a stranger dropped and returning it to them? "Any time." Drove four hours to pick you up in the middle of nowhere after you wrecked your car in the middle of the night after I TOLD you not to go to that Who concert and then try to get back in time for work? "You're WELCOME."

Gretchen said...

I prefer "You're welcome," with a smile. Really, is it that much harder?

Of course, not trying to be snarky here, but you know how people say that kids have no manners? And yet they exhibit none themselves?

Bah. I should go put myself down for a nap. Cranky girl.