Friday, February 1, 2008

Fill 'er up


As you may have read in my past blog posts (because really, have I had anything else to say lately??) I am planning to do two triathlons this summer. I signed up for a triathlon class at my gym. There is a lot to learn about swimming, cycling and running. But I am also learning there is also a lot to know about how to fuel your body to make it through those workouts. I don't know what planet I've been on that I missed this obvious link but seeing so directly the link between what goes in and how your body works has certainly given me a new perspective on food.

All my life I have been heavy. My Mom says it started when I was 3 and had my tonsils out. I had been sick pretty much constantly before that point and once I could eat, eat I did! In the time since I’ve done every diet known to man, some with more success than others. I am certainly guilty of emotional eating, eating to celebrate nearly anything, and eating because I am bored. Working out, HARD, for long periods of time is starting to change the way I think about food. Its not about how good it tastes (although that certainly helps!), its about giving my body the fuel it needs to do what I am asking it. This has been a really ah-hah for me over the past few weeks. Don’t eat before a workout and relatively soon after, they have a name for it--bonk. You can't perform at your best, you feel icky. In everyday life you get the same effects when you eat poorly but its not nearly so obvious as it is when you are trying to be an athlete.


It has sparked good conversations at the dinner table with my daughters as well. The older one has a bit of a belly these days and is suddenly a bottomless pit. I hope we are on the fattening up part of a growth spurt before she shoots up but my own insecurities and experiences as a child certainly have my antenna up looking for teachable moments to make her think about what she is eating, how much and why. I want to help her learn to save herself from world of growing up fat. The food is fuel message seems to work. Kids can make connections so quickly if we give them good examples.

I am a seeker of information. I like to have many resources at my disposal to go to when I try to solve a problem. Right now that problem is finding healthy, good tasting food to fuel my body and my family. Kroger has introduced a new website to help all families learn more about food preparation, nutritional information and food safety.

If you are interested in learning more, check out the Kroger site. Go to the Parent Bloggers site to what other bloggers are saying about their resolutions in the Healthy Living: The Perennial Resolution Blog Blast. Best of all, you could write up your own thoughts on the subject, join in the blog blast and have an opportunity to win one of 5 $50 Kroger gift cards! You can also sign up to receive the PBN newsletter so you don’t miss out on all the fun!

So, tell me, what are your resolutions for the new year? How are you doing so far?

1 comment:

Daisy said...

My youngest tends to get a tummy on him just before he shoots up in height. My oldest? She's petite, and she eats pretty well. She and her roommate have learned to cook so that they can avoid too much high-fat, low-energy food.